In the Fall of 2016, Austin Ed Fund launched a new program: the Student Opportunity Fund!
This initiative supports small time-sensitive campus-based projects that support educational enhancement opportunities for economically disadvantaged students. We know our talented students can accomplish great feats when they are provided opportunities and resources. That’s where the Student Opportunity Fund comes in.
Austin Ed Fund is thrilled to announce our inaugural recipients, funded for projects totaling $50,000 in fall 2016:
- Maverick Green STEM Launch: Supporting quality STEM-focused field trips, digital cameras, and creation of a Community Garden as part of Mendez Middle School’s new signature STEM academy
- Refugee Student and Family Support: Funding native-language academic tutoring and bilingual dictionaries for refugee students across the district to support their academic, social, cultural, and language transition to Austin ISD
- Student-Led Incentives for Brotherhood Accountability: Funding incentive-based field trips at Gus Garcia Young Men’s Leadership Academy, earned via student-developed benchmarks for improved academics, behavior, and attendance
- Keep Austin Teaching Conference Support: Funding registration and travel expenses for Akins High School Ready Set Teach students who have qualified for the regional Texas Association of Future Educators competition in Arlington
- Student-Led Original Musical: Piloting an immersive cross-curricular arts process for Widen Elementary 4th and 5th graders, resulting in an original student-created musical
- Lanier WiFi HotSpots: Purchasing library sets of mobile WiFi hotspots and accompanying devices to ensure Lanier High School students have opportunities to do online research and schoolwork at home
Do you know of an Austin ISD campus need that would be a good fit for the Student Opportunity Fund in 2017? Read the guidelines and reach out to us to begin the conversation!